CAPER (Children & Parents Enjoying Reading)
A Thuismitheoirí, a chairde, Iniata gheobhaidh sibh leabhar agus bileoga a bhaineann leis an gcóras C.A.P.E.R. Leígh le do pháiste é, agus cuir an clúdach chuig an scoil gach Máirt, Céadaoin, Déardaoin agus Aoine.
WELCOME TO C.A.P.E.R. (CHILDREN AND PARENTS ENJOY READING).
C.A.P.E.R is a home/school reading partnership and it is an extremely important part of your child learning to read. It requires your time, support and encouragement and because it is done with you, the parent at home, you will see how your child is progressing with his/her reading.
* The first step of C.A.P.E.R involves talk/discussion and reading of a storybook with the parent reading the entire story.
* The second phase, involving you and your child reading together with simple-text books will begin later in the year.
Here are guidelines for the reading of the storybooks.
1. Choose a quiet time, with as little distraction as possible i.e. No T.V. or backround noise.
2. Sit side by side so the child can see the book clearly while you read.
3. Discuss and point out the title, author, illustrator etc. and read for them the blurb at the back of the book. Encourage them to predict the story at this stage from the discussion you have had.
4. Read the story, varying your tone and voice and discuss the illustrations through the book.
5. After reading the story, question your child on:-
• The characters in the story
• The illustrations in the story
• The best/funniest/silliest/interesting…part
• Allow them to put themselves in the characters’ shoes and discuss what they would do.
• Ask them about rhyming words, new words and explain any new vocabulary.
• Finally ask them to tell the story in their own words and recall the title.
Please fill in the date and title and sign the bileog in the clúdach. Please make sure your child colours one square of the bookworm for each story read and return the clúdach every Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.
Finally could I remind you to buy books as a gift for your child, please take your child to the Library on a regular basis and enjoy C.A.P.E.R.